Houston Family
Law Attorneys

  1. Home
  2.  → Modifications

Life Changes May Warrant A Modified Custody Or Child Support Order

Life constantly changes, and previously resolved family law issues may need revisiting.

Texas courts recognize that families change over time, which is why they allow for modification of court orders involving child custody and support. That does not mean such modifications are simple to obtain. You will need an experienced family law attorney to assist you with modifications to a prior court order.

If your family is going through major changes, the attorneys at Moffett Law Firm can help you evaluate your circumstances and formulate a solution for modifying your underlying order. We are highly experienced family law attorneys who have been serving the greater Houston area since 2005.

Modifications Require A “Substantial Change In Circumstances”

Texas law allows for the modification of custody, visitation and support orders upon a showing that there has been a “material and substantial change in circumstances.” The requested modification must be in the best interest of the child. Examples of such changes may include:

  • One parent takes a new job in a distant location requiring a change to the custody agreement
  • The parent paying child support loses his or her job, requiring a change to child support payments
  • One parent has a shift change at work that conflicts with the current child custody and visitation plan

These are just some examples of material and substantial changes in income or living situations that could warrant filing a petition to modify child support, custody or visitation. Call us to discuss whether your situation may require a modification.

What To Do If You Pay Child Support

If you pay child support, we recommend that you obtain representation immediately following an income-changing event, whether an increase or decrease in income.

Until a court orders a modification to your current child support obligation, you still have an obligation to pay the original child support amount. Failure to pay can result in harsh consequences from enforcement measures. This can be burdensome for a parent who is already experiencing the loss of a job or limited financial means.

Contact Us Today

Contact Moffett Law Firm to discuss your options to modify your existing order. Please call 713-333-5800 or contact us online to schedule your consultation.