CYPRESS PROPERTY DIVISION LAWYER
When getting a divorce, you may feel frustrated by the complex and challenging property division process. Each party may have a different idea of what makes an equitable agreement, but an experienced attorney can help you fight for a just and right property division. At the Moffett Law Firm, our hardworking Cypress property division lawyers are fully prepared to take on your property division case and fight for the outcome you deserve.
Our skilled Cypress property division attorneys have over 30 years of combined experience helping individuals navigate their complex divorces. Our property division attorneys are committed to ensuring you achieve your desired result. We aim to provide unparalleled legal guidance as we handle every aspect of your case. With our thorough understanding of Texas divorce law and track record of success, you can trust us to effectively handle your case and fiercely advocate for your rights every step of the way with our unmatched services and commitment to putting your needs and goals first.
Community Property vs. Separate Property in Cypress, TX
When dividing assets in a Texas divorce, it’s important to understand the difference between community and separate property as per Texas law. Community property includes assets both spouses acquired during their marriage, regardless of who paid for them and whose name is associated with them. Some examples of community property include the following:
- Employment income, including wages, tips, and overtime
- Homes or real estate properties purchased during the marriage
- Vehicles purchased during the marriage
- Any contributions to retirement accounts made during the marriage
- Unemployment or other compensation for lost wages
- The balance of any single or joint checking and savings accounts
In Texas divorces, community property gets divided in a just and right manner between spouses. On the other hand, separate property is any property a spouse acquired before the marriage or during the marriage as a gift, inheritance, or personal injury settlement. Examples of separate properties include the following:
- A home or real estate property purchased before the marriage
- A vehicle gifted to one spouse by their parents
- Jewelry given by one spouse to the other
- Any contributions to a retirement account made before the marriage
- A spouse’s inheritance
- A spouse’s personal injury settlement
While community property gets divided in a divorce, spouses retain separate property. Our knowledgeable Cypress property division lawyers can review your assets and determine which ones fall under each category.
What Does the Court Consider When Dividing Property in Texas?
Once all property and assets have been established as community or separate, the courts will determine how the community property will be divided. In Texas, courts typically consider the following factors when making their decision about a just and right property division:
- The length of the marriage
- The income disparity between both parties
- The health of each spouse
- The educational background of each spouse
- Any business opportunities
- Whether one spouse was at fault for the marriage’s failure
Additionally, it’s important to know community debts will be divided the same way as community assets. Our Moffett Law Firm property division lawyers in Cypress fight tirelessly to preserve your financial future and avoid issues with creditors if your former spouse is responsible for any debts after the property division.
Ways a Skilled Cypress Property Division Lawyer Can Help You
Dividing property during a divorce can be stressful and confusing, but our highly-qualified Cypress property division lawyers at the Moffett Law Firm are here to help fight for your rights and assets. We handle every aspect of your case with personal attention, including the following:
- Evaluating and protecting your separate property
- Valuing and dividing your assets
- Analyzing any retirement or trust funds
- Providing objective advice
- Negotiating with all parties on your behalf
- Taking your case to trial if necessary
- Providing support and answering your legal questions
Our property division attorneys aim to make dividing your property as straightforward and hassle-free as possible. We commit ourselves to prioritizing your needs and goals through every step of the legal process as we aggressively advocate for a just and right property division.
Discuss Your Case With a Seasoned Cypress Property Division Lawyer at the Moffett Law Firm Today
Property division is one of many facets of divorce that can quickly become complicated and frustrating. For this reason, having an experienced property division attorney fighting for you is essential for a successful outcome. Our Moffett Law Firm attorneys advocate aggressively for your rights and interests to ensure your community property is divided in a way that meets your goals and needs. We also work hard to prove your separate property should not be divided, so you can keep what’s rightfully yours. We have a proven track record of successfully navigating complex property division disputes and are ready to apply our skills to your unique case.
Our Cypress property division lawyers strive to give you the knowledge you need to make confident and informed decisions about your future using open and honest communication. To schedule a consultation and learn more about our services, call us today at (713) 333-5800 or complete our contact form.