Cypress Child Support Lawyer

Child support is a complicated and often stressful topic, but you don’t have to be overwhelmed by it. When you hire the right family law firm, it can reduce stress and increase the chances that you get what you want and deserve. Contact The Moffett Law Firm today for an initial consultation.

What is Child Support?

In Texas, both parents are legally obligated to support their children financially. Child support is the money that one parent pays to the other parent to help cover the costs of raising the child once they are divorced. The amount of child support is based on several factors, including but not limited to each parent’s income, the number of children, and the amount of time each parent spends with the child.

If you are a non-custodial parent (the parent who does not have primary custody of the child), you will likely be required to pay child support. If you are a custodial parent (the parent with primary custody of the child), you may be eligible to receive child support payments from the non-custodial parent. However, as the custodial parent, you are still required to financially support your child with their day-to-day needs.

How Do You Get Child Support?

If you are a custodial parent in Texas, you typically have the right to receive child support payments from the non-custodial parent. The amount of child support that you are entitled to receive is based on the income of the non-custodial parent and the number of children that they are responsible for. There are several ways to receive child support payments in Texas. The most common method is via wage withholding, which means that the non-custodial parent’s employer will deduct the amount of child support owed from their paycheck and send it to the custodial parent.

What if the Other Parent Won’t or Can’t Pay Child Support?

If the other parent won’t or can’t pay child support, you will have to go to court to get a child support order. The order will say how much the other parent has to pay. If the other parent still doesn’t pay, there are several steps the court can take, including the following:

  • Garnish wages.
  • Put a lien on property.
  • Suspend driver’s license, professional license, or passport
  • Have the offender jailed to encourage them to make payments. Under Texas law, a judge can order them to up to 6 months in jail for refusing to follow the child support order.
  • Intercept tax refunds of the parent who is supposed to be paying child support.

Contact The Moffett Law Firm For Help With Child Support

If you’re going through a divorce or you are already divorced and need child support payments enforced or modified, the attorneys at The Moffett Law Firm can help. We have been handling child support cases for almost two decades. As a family-owned firm, we understand how important it is to fight for all of your rights regarding your children and financial support. You will always be able to reach us to ask questions, and we will continue to keep you updated on your case. To schedule an initial consultation, call our office at (713) 333-5800 or contact us online.

Contact us today